Wednesday, September 23, 2009

- Home Alone



A family issue has left me home alone with only my 9 year old daughter to care for my many irrational and whimsical demands. Even as I type this she's off somewhere hand polishing my bullets (to improve their accuracy), and waiting for me to choose this evenings menu so she can ride her bike to the 9 or 10 specialty markets she'll need to accumulate all the fresh ingredients it will require. I don't know how she's ever going to find the time to sweep all the leaves and twigs off our roof, but the young have a boundless energy, so I'm sure she'll find a way.

In the meantime my days are filled with an exhausting combination of napping, daydreaming and staring at the TV. And since there never seems to be quite enough hours in the day, I'm finding it difficult to get to the ugly business of typing up a blog post. So instead you'll all have to content yourself with this bit of news which intersects with some of my past writing.

It seems that the worlds largest maker of the AK47 is declaring bankruptcy; a tragic victim of it's own success. The AK47 never breaks you see, so there is no need to ever buy a new one. Speaking from my own experience, it's legendary durability may be the most understated fact I've ever heard. You can do things to an AK47 that would make most armorers cringe and it will take it without complaint.

An excellent example of that can be seen in this promotional video about the durability of the AK47 - shotgun,



It may not be as accurate as an AR15, but try something like that with it and your M4 will almost certainly blow up and kill you.

For more on my veneration of russia's most famous export, see this piece:

"And There Was Much Rejoicing."

No comments: