Tuesday, December 14, 2010

- An NJEA Holiday Message



My daughter and I were playing a computer game together the other day and she told me that her teacher 'hinted' that she doesn't like Chris Christie. This is in a 5th grade classroom in what is arguably one of NJ's most conservative towns. That should give you an idea of how pervasive that attitude is, and how much vitriol is being stored up in the union ranks for Christie's next election.

In the meantime, at 10 years old, my daughter is not the type to go arguing with an authority figure. She's a shy sweet kid without a confrontational bone in her body. If challenged directly on the issue she would smile quietly and look at her shoes. This suits her parents just fine. I don't think the people in this video are above punishing a student simply because they don't like their parent's politics.

Whenever an issue of political correctness comes up (and they already come up all the time) we always tell her to put the answer the teacher wants but know that the 'real answer' is different. When they demand that she think of herself as a member of a political group we remind her that she is first and always an indivudal. She takes to that sort of thing just fine and seems to enjoy the conspiratory flavor of defying the teacher in her home. But the truth is, for all my talk, it's really my daughter who is the one behind enemy lines. She's the one whose forced to pretend, in order to avoid the wrath of the NJEA.

2 comments:

frithguild said...

Sounds like you are doing a wonderful job. Hopefully, she will never feel she is "Behind enemy lines" when she comes home 5 or 6 years from now ....

Tom said...

Thanks Rob. I'm doin my best.