Wednesday, April 11, 2012
- It Is Redistribution
A few weeks (or was it days - it's been tough sledding recently) ago, Frithguild made mention of 'the big lie'. This is the political tactic of simply claiming that a tax isn't a tax, a fine isn't a fine, a penalty isn't a penalty, redistribution isn't redistribution, and that the poposed policy does not do, exactly what it's desigend to do. The President is doing it again. In fact, without the big lie, this President probably wouldn't have all that much to say.
The thing I hate about this is that if it were a Republican, the press would NEVER let him get away with the big lie. But since it's a Democrat the press simply repeats his claims by rote. And people then believe it.
the onyl way to counter 'the big lie' is to be as determined about spreading the truth, and Team Obama is about spreading the wealth. So... here are the facts about the Buffet Rule:
1. It won't raise any money because the rich would rather hide their money than let Obama take it.
2. It's not "fair" because the money has already been taxed once at the highest corporate tax rate in the world.
3. It IS redistribution. There really isn't any other way to say that.
4. "The Rich" who President Obama want's to punish for their success, already pay most of the taxes in dollar terms and on a percentage basis. Their regular rate is already higher than the rate on the poor, but as mentioned in item 1, they would rather hide their money than pay it.
5. It will hurt the economy and job growth (at least it would if it had even a remote chance of passing.)
Obama has been singing this song for years and America hasn't been interested. He knows it won't pass. Even he can't be that obtuse. So the question arises then - why is he still saying it?
The answer is that he knows that the people in the bottom income bracket, those people who contribute nothing and live off government largesse, are highly motivated by envy. They don't so much care about having more themselves (or they would go get a job) as much as they care about taking something away from the other guy who does.
That's Obama's primary constituency... the slackers... the losers. The people who aren't interested in getting ahead and are perfectly content to be behind so long as someone else does the work of pulling their cart. And Obama knows that if he demonizes "the rich" those slackers will get off the couch long enough to go down to the polls and vote for him.
These are the people who Obama thinks would be best to decide the future direction of the country. This human ballast. And whatever problems you may have with Mitt Romney, if you don't go out and vote for him, this is exactly who will.