Thursday, May 10, 2012

- Meanwhile In An Alternate Universe...

I don't watch "regular" TV, but my daughter has dragged me into what has become a "Big Bang Theory" addiction. The tall thin man explaining the game is Dr. Sheldon Cooper a CalTech Physicist (originally from lovely Galveston Island in east Texas) with a 186 IQ. He and his Asperger's syndrome are the centerpiece of the show.

I don't think anyone would call me THAT geeky, but I certainly am geeky enough to think that this is the funniest show produced on network TV in a dog's age. One thing I do find a little troubling because of what it says about me is that even when they descend into what's supposed to sound like incomprehensible techno-speak I understand every word, including the technical citations, and the mistakes.

Anyway, I'd highly recommend the show.

(I'd be kicking all this around with my buddy Gary the Physicist from central Texas, but for some reason he isn't returning my calls lately.)

6 comments:

Hell_Is_Like_Newark said...

My wife told me the show was funny and that some of the characters reminded her of me (not sure how to take that yet).

I have gotten so turned off by television in general, I really don't watch it period. With the exception of some science & history stuff on PBS or via Netflix.

My biggest beef was the fact that men were always portrayed and / or treated as idiots. That joke got old over a decade ago.

chess said...

im sorta in the above camp.. lost touch with the show . was an avid watcher since the beginning..then they started bringing in side parts..at least a braniac gets the hot chick.....tho i do have nightmares about living with my mother and filing down her corns.........

Matt H said...

If you find the time for just one other show, I recommend Justified.

chess said...

hooked on justified

Tom said...

I'm probably the biggest fan alive of the HBO series Deadwood (which featured Timothy Olyphant). If you're a regular reader you'll see me steal a line or two from the show ...still. So I'm a fan of Olyphant, but I don't have a ton of time available for TV. Mostly I stick to programming appropriate for a 12 year old girl, and even Big Bang Theory pushes the envelope a tad.

chess said...

deadwood was fantastic...thank God some series actually show people w rotten teeth and dirt everywhere.