Friday, July 20, 2012

- Nanna Smackdown

My father's mother was a tough bird. She was all of 4 feet 11 inches and 90lbs dripping wet, but she was a force to be reckoned with. Her sons were combat veterans and business leaders - physically imposing, forceful commanding men who could dominate any room. But they were all terrified of her.

When I was about 19, I was sitting around in her backyard with a few of my cousins and my uncle Bob - just hanging around and passing the spring afternoon away as was the custom in my family. But I was also on my third beer, and I accidentally let the F word slip.

Nanna was on me like a shot. "I don't know where you think you are but we don't use that word around here!" All the men (not one of them less than 6 feet tall or under 180lbs) all looked at their shoes and began moving slowly away from me so as not to be implicated by proximity. Since it was a first offense, I managed to get away without any physical injury.

This reminds me a lot of that day.

(But just imagine the press reaction if Dick Cheney had said something like this instead of Nanna Pelosi.)

2 comments:

Chess said...

Tom there you go again picking on Nanna on a day she may have forgotten to take all her "meds"..

I wish the reporter had then said---- when you were Speaker did you release 20 yrs worth because you were 3rd in line to the presidency?
It is frightening to me what a pathetic lot we have in congress.Jefferson said you get the government you deserve.At least I think it was Jefferson? Did I take my meds today??

ikaika said...

What an awful duplicitous woman...