Monday, September 24, 2012

- "I'll Get The Boys!"

There is an element of give and take when it comes to favors on Wall Street. The products we buy and sell aren't terribly different in any meaningful way than the products that any of our competitors buy or sell. So much of the industry is dependent upon relationships. And the give and take of small favors lends itself to that. Still - there are good guys who you know you can call, and other guys who are not so good.

I've always been thrilled when someone asked me to do them a favor. Not because I'm Machiavellian and knew that it meant that they now 'owe me too'. Quite the contrary. I got a kick out of it because it makes me feel like I'm helping out a friend. I'm doing something that is relatively low cost for me, while achieving something which might have a great impact on someone else's life. It feels good to help people out. the more it helps them, the better it feels.

I get the impression Mitt Romney knows exactly what I mean:

Gillespie recalled how Romney called her every night, for 10 straight nights, when her father was in a coma after heart surgery.

And she told one more story. The day she moved to Massachusetts, the moving company didn’t get all her furniture inside the house. The governor called and asked her how things were going. She said furniture was still on the driveway.

“I’ll get the boys,” Romney told her.

At 9 p.m., Romney and his sons moved the furniture into the house.

The thing is, "the boys" were probably thrilled to do it. They all know that helping someone out is one of the best feelings in the world. All the Romney's get that.

I linked the NRO comment because that's where I stole it. Please click through to get to the original story.

4 comments:

ikaika said...

great story. Perfect analysis.
To the warped liberals it would be interpreted:
"While Romney didn't articulate any demands, it can be inferred that Gillespie felt threatened by the presence of he and his sons, thereby calming the situation with a token offer of Diet Pop..."

Liberals don't get it - and if you mention favors on Wall St - that automatically implies collusion. But we know a phone call from a business associate or a trusted account or even a competitor that basically says "Hey - I'm in a jam, can you help?"
The "help" is usually doing what you are good at and completely within the structure of law and total observance of regulation.
I have people call me or e-mail regarding Intl Market regs or my thoughts on Eurozone news... I get nothing in return, but it is an enthusiastic reminder of how I arrived at where I am today.

It's unfortunate for detractors that Romney is Richie Cunningham.

chess said...

This story makes it all that much harder to swallow that we could have a pos for fomo... Just sad.
It doesnt tak e much to be a nice person. It doesnt take much more to be a better person.
All I remember about Carter and Reagan time frame was that as an intern I was getting 16% in a money market fund and that people when they talked about Reagan was it seemed they had hope. We need some hope. If we get fomo I think people like me at 58 will really hunker down. This kind story needs to get to the middle class that Mitt isnt tossing them under the bus but wants to lift em up...Give them hope

Keith said...

Romney's faith feeds him enough humble pie that we would never have to fear the arrogance that our current president possesses. I just wish the voters would reflect a moment on his character instead of his money.
Hope he can take the gloves off in the debate.

Tom said...

An excellent point Kieth. And I've gotta believe that character is visible even to those who might oppose him politically.

The liberal mantra requires that the enemy be dehumanized. When they call him rich what they mean is that "He's an Animal!" When they call him a racist they mean that "He's a monster!"

But it's tough to dehumanize someone who gives 1/3 of his income to charity, and genuinely leads a life of humility.