Wednesday, November 7, 2012

- Change

The last time I used alcohol as a cure for a hangover was when I was 21 years old. That's what reelecting Barak Obama is. As I recall I felt great for a while, but when it finally wore off I was ruined in a way that I doubt I could come back from at my current age. You can do things in your youth that you cannot in middle age, and America is a middle aged Democracy acting like it's still young.

Democrat philosophy is principally about the postponement of consequences - just like that shot of Tequila for a hangover. And Obama's policies of higher nominal tax rates for the rich at home, preemptive surrender abroad, and looting our savings with QE in the capital markets will not cure our problems. But he doesn't seem to care about that. He cares about keeping control. So be it.

So what do we do now? Well I'll tell you what I'm going to do.

All my life people have placed obstacles in my path to try to prevent me from achieving my goals. Maybe they didn't think my goals were 'the right' politically correct goals. Maybe they felt I lacked proper 'breeding'. Maybe they thought someone else deserved what I wanted more than me by virtue of their race or their membership in some protected political group. I didn't let any of those obstacle get in my way, and I don't imagine 4 more years of Barak Obama will be the obstacle that finally stops me.

In the strictest terms you don't really need a new strategy, just a new hedge. You need to assume that in any decision the principle component of it's outcome will be a government action. But government is constrained - liberal government even more so by their intellectual simplicity. so all this is survivable for all of us.

I will say this though, we have clearly chosen to speed toward the abyss rather than crawl toward it. And in the end I don't know that Mitt Romney, man of good character that he is, was ever really going to change that. It might not be a problem we can solve with our present political structure. But whether it is or isn't is probably moot, because with Barry in charge we won't have long to wait before we find out.

4 comments:

ikaika said...

my only fear is SCOTUS

Keith said...

We, the people who participate in this blog, are on our own. And we misread the tea leaves. Good luck to all, especially with the new Supreme Court. (Good point, Ikaika.)

chess said...

Keith well said. As to the SCOTUS..3-4 will be replaced. All affirmative action candidates..

Thus the SCOTUS is TOASTUS.

frithguild said...

This country has rarely if ever collected more that 18% of GDP in taxes, no matter what the rates have been.

"It took over 200 years for the US government to accumulate its first trillion dollars in debt. It took just 286 days to accumulate the most recent trillion." - It Doesn't Matter, ZeroHedge

To transform yourself you need to want to change. Americans in general have not taken the first pf a 12 step program:

1. I am powerless over government - my life has become unmanageable.