Tuesday, November 6, 2012

- When Monitoring Returns...

I have in the past been quick to point out the weaknesses of FreeRepublic (where for the record, I was banned for suggesting that Newt Gingrich would make a good VP for Mitt Romney, before the folks there had realized that Mitt already had a lock on the Republican nomination). But to be fair I should point out it's strengths too. With all it's many faults, Freerepublic is an excellent source of Web link aggregation - particularly pertaining to elections.

It's members are from every state in the country and are watching their local races diligently. They are deeply involved politically, and will pull up new information pertaining to results FAR sooner than the news websites or google. It's the one thing the website was almost designed to do with optimum efficiency.

The members of Freerepublic (many of them, but by no means all of them) are not very deep thinkers. They tend toward very simple models of the world and are in a broad sense, what liberals think all conservatives are.

And when you combine that general aversion to complexity with the fact that the website is totally anonymous, you end up with a large group of people who are capable of missing virtually any point. There is nothing so obvious that the folks at FreeRepublic can't still manage to get it wrong, so their comments aren't so valuable in most cases.

But they will filter through the flotsam of the web, new media, and traditional news sources with truly stunning speed and effectiveness. It's members will then post it on their site, and immediately begin correcting its grammar, calling it useless, and discussing how it effects their particular conspiracy theory. But if you can ignore the latter (and the odds indicate that you probably should) the former has a very real value.

We all have things where we excel and others where we falter. Freerepublic may be the original tin foil hat brigade, but this is their moment to shine. It's where I'll be looking when monitoring returns.

18 comments:

Tom said...

BTW, it's only 10:00 AM here and I'm already in knots over this election.

Hell_Is_Like_Newark said...

Tom: Its sort of like watching a massive extinction level sized asteroid heading towards earth. This is the day if we will know if it will hit or be a near miss.

chess said...

Tom..Excellent summary on freepers. I love it for its "beginning push" that then makes me go and look for myself. All am they have been lining up states with instant info..Their silliyness has seemed to focus this am...
Im hoping for a long day cause if it isnt it means Florida or Virginia has done something really silly..

chess said...

Hell. thats it!!!

At least n the market I think I see a hope for R&R win...Financials.Coal.Energy. All doing well... Could be lookout below in the early morning....

Hell_Is_Like_Newark said...

Chess:

Again.. my fear is massive voter fraud in the swing states.

chess said...

Hell ......Watch thi2012 Voting Machines Altering Votes
Tue Nov 06 2012 10:35:28 GMT-0600 (Central Standard Time) · by Orange1998
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdpGd74DrBM&feature=youtu.be ^
"I asked the voters on either side of me if they had any problems and they reported they did not. I then called over a volunteer to have a look at it. She him hawed for a bit then calmly said "It's nothing to worry about, everything will be OK." and went back to what she was doing. I then recorded this video". http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdpGd74DrBM&feature=youtu.bes

chess said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdpGd74DrBM&feature=youtu.be ^


easier.

chess said...

Jesus,...Ralph Nader is still alive and bitching?????
And the way I see it was they pushed BHO and got R&R...Great machine.. Calibrated probably by a union guy.

chess said...

just a good short squeeze or did someone leak some key numbers from absentee swing states,,,,?...Thoughts?

and Im putting a dam $14 beer in the icebox for tonight....Please Lord. Please remember they BOOED at you....

chess said...

http://freebeacon.com/two-voters-at-a-time-in-philly/

Never been to Philly but I knew I didnt like the place the time they pelted Santa with snowballs......

chess said...

Strange..This past Sunday George will picked Romney with 300+ electoral votes. Today he is saying its a lost cause??? strange....

chess said...

Dammit.. Tom you were correct as usual ..Just got caught off guard by a freeper with a G.Will Story and then looked and its MArch...They were hoping to rub Wills nose in a R&R victory. sorry. It really spooked me.I like the dude

ikaika said...

Chess, I think it's time for a SoCo soaked fritter... I could use a few myself

ikaika said...

chess - when do we wheel in the "code cart" for Howard Dean?

chess said...

Ikaika...your exactly right....I have this ache in my stomach like when you look up and see your stock halted for impending news(DOOM) and you dont have a clue why....

I CANT TAKE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

chess said...

Howard is a "do not resuscitate" in my book...He would fit into my gomer found down category....

Howard is saying if dems lose Ohio its because of fraud. I think he meant tosay that the dems didnt do enough fraud if they lose Ohio.

ikaika said...

When I see Howard Dean, I am reminded of Dennis Hopper's character in Blue Velvet, with the nitrous mask on his face...
"Sing Candy Colored Clown!"

chess said...

He was great in that....I getting really pissed at the repub watchers being booted. now in Florida/