Thursday, January 31, 2013

- The DHS on Being A Good Eloi

I find this video as horrifying as the New York Post does, but I think in a slightly different way.

Tell me the truth. Doesn't this sound like the instructions you would give to first graders? Instructions on how to hide? Instructions on how and where to run away? I guess to them we're all children now - and probably always were.

All this may be good advice. Although if there is anyone out there so stupid that they didn't already know it, I doubt this video can help them. It may even represent the smart thing to do. But I know for certain that I could never do it. I am not an Eloi, and I never will be.

Believe me when I say this, I'm no hero. But if someone were going room to room shooting innocent civilians, I couldn't run away. I couldn't hide while the gunshots echoed around me. It's not a matter of bravery or some sort of 'macho' fantasy that liberals would probably accuse me of. It's nothing like that. Believe me when I say this, I have absolutely nothing to prove. I've been in life threatening situations before, so I know that I'd probably be absolutely terrified the whole time.

But if I didn't stand and fight, then I could never look myself in the mirror again. I'm a man. A civilized man. Men don't cower under the table while madmen prey on the innocent. They don't run away and save themselves while abandoning others to their fate. It isn't the world I was born in, and I refuse to surrender my self respect to the whims of a world where the 'run away and save yourself' morality is defined by progressives.

I wouldn't put myself between a shooter and others because I want to prove something. I wouldn't do it because I wanted to be seen as a hero. I'd do it because I could never live with myself if I didn't.

This is the real reason that I and the people like me should be allowed (actually - encouraged) to carry a firearm with me everywhere I go. Because when armed civilized men show up, things are safer than they were before they got there.

10 comments:

chess said...

Exactly...........My phrase from a long time ago here was "leave a mark".... Which means try something. Doing nothing is not an option in my life... . If a pt was dying at least try something. you know the outcome if you do zip so what have you got to lose....
You gonna cower in a closet? 1 door. 1 exit. 3x5 area? No thank you...

Im no hero either but you gonna stare in your coffee cup every am at 430 and think shit.... just shit if you do zip

Tom said...

The horrible part chess is not that there are so many people who would run. All men have limits on what they can ask of themselves, and I don't look down my nose at them.

The horrible part is that we're being told that hiding or running away is the only moral choice.



Hell_Is_Like_Newark said...

Tom:


An ethos of the Left: The State has a monopoly on violence, even when the violent actions are in self-defense. The rest of us must exist under a social contract where we are in service to the state only.

Jeffry Snyder made a similar point in his excellent essay from 20 years back, 'A Nation of Cowards'.

http://jim.com/cowards.htm

chess said...

Tom... Im not worried bout you are Ikaika or Hell. Im not worried bout my 3 closest buds...

I do worry this kind brainwash shit gets the generation behind us to do nothing but run around screaming and pissing in their pants.10 years from now you will be able to rob a bank by just raising your voice and clearing your throat.

ikaika said...

I think about the LIRR shooting and how passengers subdued the maniac.
We are also told about Flt 93 and potentially an act of heroic self sacrifice.
Or when the two gunmen entered the internet cafe in Florida. One with a shotgun the other with a bat... only they were neutralized by a septagenerian with a .380 acp mouse-gun.

ABsed on these instructions, if followed to the letter in any situation, maybe Shoe-bomber would have corried out his plan? Maybe other would be terrorists would not be incarcerated if it were not for the actions of a few brave souls.

The Texas Tower shooting ended because a civillian assisted law enforcement in neutralizing the shooter.

There are several reports of school shootings and public massacres that were ultimately ended by the courage of one to draw their weapon.

ikaika said...

Maybe they can get Martin Bashir and MSLSD to "edit" the video to make it seem palatable?

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/msnbc-airs-edited-sandy-hook-416977

Tom said...

Who is a "Martin Bashir"?

ikaika said...

Apparently he is the reporter at MSLSD that presented the doctored footage/audio in the attached link.

He is one of the many outstanding "journalists" employed at MSLSD

Jim in San Antonio said...

Amen, brother. I too have had my mettle tested; though scared, I didn't freeze. Nor would I in this situation. Worst case, some things are worth dying for.

Schrodinger's Dog said...

Tom,

Good piece and my thoughts entirely. I absolutely do not regard myself as a hero, but one thing I fear more than death is the coward's death.