Wednesday, January 16, 2013

- Punishing Virtue... Again

How do I get to be 'special' too? That's how our government works now I think. It picks out people, or groups of people, and elevates them to 'special' status. But lately it seems like everyone is special except people like me.

The people like me, who manage our own lives, tend to our own responsibilities, and protect ourselves and families, are definitely seen as the source of America's problems these days. The left has been teeing this up for a long time. It's been slowly and incrementally putting all the pieces in place, and now - the dawn of the glorious age of Obama - they're finally tightening the noose. They're finally making us pay. And if we want to play by the rules that we've always played by, there isn't anything we can do about it anymore.

The thing is, I'm not a burden to anyone, and never really have been. My parents paid the cost of my childhood, I guess you could say I owe them - but it seems to me that's between us and doesn't involve the rest of society. In the meantime, I've never even claimed unemployment insurance. The government took that money from me (and much more besides) against my will, so it didn't seem right for me to try to take it back just because I had some bad luck. I've always found my own way to solve my problems. Meanwhile I've always expected the government to renege on its promises to me. It always has before.

But this seems a little more severe to me now. This government, and this ruling elite definitely think I'm the problem with America. And bit by bit, they're punishing me for what I've always seen as my virtues. Work hard and take risks to get ahead? You must be punished with new taxes. Save your money? Now you're 'wealthy' and must be punished again. Be a responsible citizen who obeys the law and is still willing to put himself in harm's way to protect his family? That makes you the same as a mass murderer, so you must be punished even more aggressively.

You'd think I'd be used to it by now, but I confess I'm not. I can't understand why they think the way I live my life is so wrong. They imagine that if the world were filled with people like me it would be nothing but mayhem and bloodshed, and that I'd spend all my time with my boot on the neck of some homeless person who they imagine I hate. I've never done any of those things, but that doesn't matter to them. They still imagine the only reason I don't do it now is because of the control they already exert over me.

I've spent my whole life playing by the rules. Every time they changed the rules in the middle of the game, I changed my ways and played by them again - even though the only change was to make it harder for someone like me to win. But the value of playing by the rules is falling fast in America. And I can't believe the left realizes what they're doing. When the value of "playing by the rules" falls to zero, then it stands to reason that people like me will stop "playing by the rules".

And what the left doesn't seem to realize is, up to now, those rules are the only thing that's protected them from people like me. When people like me are as willing to break the rules as they seem to be, then they'll really have something to be afraid of.

3 comments:

frithguild said...

"The more uncivilized we become the more laws that are needed to regulate behavior."

TimH said...

"Nothing personal. It's just business."

They don't hate you any more than a weaver hates the sheep he shears. They're just not as good at encouraging you to grow more wool.

ikaika said...

"Nothing personal. It's just business."

funny you chose that line.
Prohibition shifts demand to the black market. Organized Crime gets a boost from a Chicago Politician... Imagine That!