Wednesday, February 27, 2013

- Ammo Shortage Reaches Absurd Levels

A report rolled in from friend of this blog RA this morning. He was underlining what we have already come to discover, there is a truly serious Ammo shortage out there right now.

This is more of a problem for we folk in NJ where internet sales may be banned. I shoot a lot and always buy in bulk because it's cheaper. If I have to pay the criminally high retail prices that are typical in NJ, or pay the fuel to drive out to Pennsylvania, my costs to shoot are going WAY up.

My current supplies are OK. I have a few thousand rounds set aside for ... you know... emergencies. But I don't have enough to take people shooting like I used to. And with the spring coming soon I need to stock up in 12 gauge bird shot, but can't.

All this is the downside of the supply-demand curve. There is no conspiracy here. But it's getting very inconvenient. I hope the manufacturers get their behinds in gear and make the most of this. Lord knows the prices are now high enough.

10 comments:

ikaika said...

Midway has been the only mail-order that has been re-stocked.

It's pretty weird for Cabelas to refrain from listing even .22 LR as available. They recently re-stocked, but if you search by caliber you'll notice 7.62x39 is ommitted.

While I knew at some point the Admin would ratchet-up anti-2A, New York's rapid ban sent people into survival mode. I don't have the space for a reloader, but if you have a basement or garage workspace you'd be a fool to wait any longer to purchase a reloader and supplies.

seriously, it's really bad when you are plced on back-order for a brick of .22 LR!!

Side-note (my portfolio is loving it)

ikaika said...

Chris Rock Addressed this type of Gun Control in 2008:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuX-nFmL0II

Laughingdog said...

I wish I'd known you're having trouble getting skeet loads. We have plenty of that in the stores here. I could have brought some up on my way to Massachusetts last week.

Tom said...

Well the big problem in NJ is that there's almost nowhere that sells ammo. Even Walmart doesn't.

But yes, we're out of virtually everything.

Johnny I said...

I'll have to find out about Thunder Mountain for next week's shoot. I wonder how their stock/prices have been affected.
Looking forward to getting a few new shooters out.

TimH said...

Two words: Dillon Precision.

Their products pay for themselves after just a few hundred rounds, they're so well made that there's pleasure in using them, and you get subscribed to the Blue Press as a bonus.

TimH said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
flynful said...

As a NJ resident I have been able to purchase ammo on the internet from out-of state suppliers but I have to fax or email my NJ Firearms Permit as a condition of the purchase.

flynful said...

As a NJ resident I have been able to purchase ammo on the internet from out-of state suppliers but I have to fax or email my NJ Firearms Permit as a condition of the purchase.

Tom said...

Well the Legislature just passed a bunch of new regs to prevent you from doing that. If they become law, no more internet sales.


I've pretty much decided to start reloading - 12 gauge at least. Just for the cost savings, if nothing else.