Thursday, February 28, 2013

- Maryland: Fingerprints Required to "Excercise" Your Rights

New Jersey, New York and Massachusetts can now look south to the new Laughing-Stock of the USA. But it's hardly a laughing matter when a Legislature, at the insistence of the Governor, rams through laws that are designed to restrict an otherwise inalienable right.

“The Senate recognized that fingerprint-based licensing of handgun purchasers is the best way for states to reduce gun violence.”

...and the road to hell is paved with good intentions...

Maryland Senate Democrats passed sweeping gun-control legislation proposed by Maryland Gov. Martin O’Malley on Thursday, with tighter firearm restrictions on the mentally ill and token concessions on a new licensing requirement that will force most gun buyers to be fingerprinted.
Before Thursday’s 28 to 19 vote, Republicans attempted a filibuster, railing against the plan for more than four hours and warning that the bill proposed by O’Malley (D) would put Maryland in the untenable position of requiring fingerprints of residents to exercise a constitutional right.

Sen. Christopher B. Shank (R-Washington) said that Democrats were willing to trample on a constitutional right that they didn’t like. “Can you imagine the outcry if we were forcing people to be fingerprinted to vote?”

I think Maryland ought to change both the State motto and the State nicknames:
Fatti maschii, parole femine
Nickname: The Free State (... well, maybe for some people)

There are many other provisions in the law that are vague and questionable in scope.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

{
{I have|I've} been {surfing|browsing} online more than {three|3|2|4} hours today, yet I never found any interesting article like yours. {It's|It is}
pretty ωoгth enough foг me. {Іn mу оpіnіоn|Ρегsonally|In my view}, if all {webmastеrs|sitе owneгs|websi

Takе a looκ at my website :: tree care

Anonymous said...

{
{I hаve|I've} been {surfing|browsing} online more than {three|3|2|4} hours today, yet I never found any interesting article like yours. {It's|It is} prеtty wοгth enough foг me.
{In my opinion|Personally|In my vіew},
if аll {webmasters|sіte оwners|websі

Feеl free to surf to my weblοg; tree care
{Also see my|My|my} {site|website|page|webpage|web page|web site}{ > |: | :: | - }austin tree dormancy

Anonymous said...

We are a gaggle оf vοlunteeгs аnd οpening a new ѕchemе
in ouг communіty. Your site ρroνided us with
uѕeful infо to woгκ on.
Үou have done an impressiνe job anԁ our whole community will likely
be thanκful to уou.

Review mу blog; dumpster rental connecticut