Tuesday, August 20, 2013

The Paranoia File



Now that I have mentioned the good old Google Purges, I thought I would add something to the paranoia file. The owner of Edward Snowden's secure email provider, Lavabit has put this statement up on their website:

I have been forced to make a difficult decision: to become complicit in crimes against the American people or walk away from nearly ten years of hard work by shutting down Lavabit. After significant soul searching, I have decided to suspend operations. I wish that I could legally share with you the events that led to my decision. I cannot. I feel you deserve to know what’s going on--the first amendment is supposed to guarantee me the freedom to speak out in situations like this. Unfortunately, Congress has passed laws that say otherwise.

Groklaw followed suit by shutting down its collaborative legal reporting operations that relied upon email, reasoning that, you don't expect a stranger to read your private communications to a friend. And once you know they can, what is there to say?

So how does this effect you? Just don't web search for "pressure cooker bombs” and “backpacks," because somewhere, somebody may run a search using NSA's XKeyscore program. You know, that's the tool that looks an awful lot like Facebook's Graph Search.

Would somebody in a political campaign use tools such as these to optimize their message delivery and keep that a secret? Who would think of such a thing! I guess a paranoiafile like me.

Now just so that the circle is complete here, I want to emphasize to anybody from the NSA that reads this to know that I like hand guns and very dangerous nuclear energy.  Have at it boys and girls.

No comments: