Tuesday, June 14, 2016

- What We Already Know

Donald Trump has suspended the Washington Post's press privileges over a wildly dishonest headline. Think what you want about the future Trump administration - I certainly have my own seriously held reservations about it. But he has demonstrated once again that there is unambiguous social good that is coming from his campaign.

When the post responded with their usual pablum about a "free and independent press" my very first thought was: "What the hell does the Washington Post know about it?" For decades they have been publishing deeply slanted opinion pieces as front page news, apparently under the belief that we Americans are too stupid to know when we're being lied to. Their daily circulation numbers beg to differ.

I couldn't be happier to see a politician actually impose a cost on the Washington Post. That's not because I have a political agenda, but because I believe in incentives. The post lied, and now the post knows there is a cost to lying. And all the other Post wannabe's who imagine themselves launching into the spotlight by reframing the debate a little, will take a lesson from it too.

It isn't Donald Trump that's denying Americans a "free and Independent press" it's the shamelessly slanted Washington Post and their fellow travelers that have done so. The first amendment isn't a deeply held principle to them, it's a cover they hide behind when they get caught. They're doing so again, but Trump is calling them on it anyway. This is a good thing for all Americans of all political stripes, who are tired beyond description of being lied to.

In Trump's position, I'd be saying "I can't tell you what to say, but if you're going to lie about me, I'm not going to make it any easier for you." This is exactly what the shallow manipulative 'mean girls' of the Washington post need to hear. And it's also what we all already know.

No comments: