Monday, August 8, 2016

- Celebrating Failure

I'm not watching the Olympics, I don't care about the Olympics, and I don't really care about Olympians. But I do care about excellence. Certain kinds of behavior lead to success and certain kinds of behavior lead to failure. I prefer (but do not always personally accomplish) the former. CNN feels differently:

Michael Phelps may be the greatest Olympian the world has ever known but for CNN host W. Kamau Bell, he is just a "tall, successful, rich white guy" who clearly didn’t "need the honor" of being chosen by his athlete peers as America's flag-bearer. Instead, Bell exclaims, Ibtihaj Muhammad, a woman, an African-American and a Muslim to boot, should have been chosen because "right now America has enough tall, successful, rich white guys hogging the spotlight trying to make America great."

One thing I know for certain about success is that it's difficult. If you focus on anything except success, you will more than likely fail. W. Kamua Bell is obviously demonstrating that fact.

1 comment:

MikeCLT said...

As I said in a comment to a prior post: "white privilege = white achievement."