Monday, August 8, 2016

- Evan McMullin For .... What!?

Evan McMullin may very well be a competent and virtuous man. I like to think that I am too, so they do exist - even on Wall Street. But in an age when identity politics is the only thing that matters to 1/3 the electorate, how anyone could think that a Mormon ex-Goldman employee could win anything at all is mystifying.

I told a story once about a former co-worker (Known as Galvez on this blog) and a conversation we had early in 2009. We were fretting about eh fate of the world and he said something that made perfect sense to me. I can trace my family back to the Norman Invasion of Ireland in 1172, but Galvez dwarfs even that. He can trace his family back to the battle of Tours which occurred in 732AD. In that battle, people who still thought of themselves as Roman citizens repelled the Moors in Spain.

Anyway, he said to me something I'll never forget. "Don't worry Tom, it doesn't matter who's in charge, they'll always need smart people like us to do things for them." He's right of course. civilization won't collapse, it will just have a different moral code. And if you can do useful things, people will always need you to do them for them. That's the thing about Goldman guys. They're very competent generally (former NJ Governors notwithstanding). but competence does not make you popular in this day and age. So their path to political power isn't to be elected, but to be appointed by the people who win elections.

Evan McMullin may be a good man. I like every Mormon I've ever met, so it's the way I'd bet. But he isn't going to get elected president. The rest is just anti-Trump/pro-Hillary gamesmanship.

2 comments:

MikeCLT said...

"Don't worry Tom, it doesn't matter who's in charge, they'll always need smart people like us to do things for them."

I bet quite a few Jews in Nazi Germany thought the same thing. As did tens of millions of smart guys in the USSR, Maoist China, Cambodia, etc.

Not that it needs repeating here, but it is one of the reasons why we have the Second Amendment.

Tom said...

And yet... Jews worked on the V2 project. Jews worked on the Russian (and American) space program. If what you do is considered valuable enough, blah blah blah.


In truth though I agree. When they come for the derivative guys who "ruined the economy", in a burst of proletariat mob justice, both Valdez and I will be armed.