Tuesday, August 23, 2016

- New York City's Parasites

So I got into a little ‘incident’ yesterday evening in Washington Square Park. A young lady and I were sitting on a bench near the fountain, quietly trying to unwind from the day and discreetly drinking a bottle of decent wine from paper cups, when one of the increasingly common beggar/psychos came over and began asking for handouts.

He was the kind of guy who looked like he’d been hanging out in the part since the 70’s – a biggish guy, 6 foot 190lbs or so, Caucasian, long scraggly grey-blonde hair, clothes in the latest 1985 style with at least 25 years of wear and tear in them. He looked disheveled by not homeless, like he lives in a trailer park (I’m familiar with the style). He was relatively clean (which is to say the smell wasn’t offensive) and had no track marks on his arms. Anywhere else, I’d have guessed he was a meth head, but I understand crack is the thing these days in WSP so that’s probably his flavor of choice.

I did what I always do when beggars approach. Before he even got through his rap about the homeless, I waved him off and said “no thanks dude”, trying to give the clear impression that we are residents not tourists, and will be unpersuaded by whatever lies he’s concocted. My recollection of what came next was a bit of a blur. When I cut him off he immediately started screaming. Nothing intelligible, just loud and angry – “Waaahhh!!! Waaahhh!!!” right in the face of the girl I was sitting with. Her response was to curl into the fetal position. Mine was not.

I bounced up off the bench, dropping my phone next to her when I rose and got up right in the crazy bastards face. He took a few quick steps back and continued to scream, but it took on a more frightened tone. At that point my volume began to match his. I yelled something like “Get the F*** out of here you crazy F***ing psycho!!!” I took a few steps to follow him as he did an impression of Renfield while scurrying toward the fountain. As I closed on him he began yelling in genuine fear “Waaahhh Waaahhh you’re gonna beat me now!” to which I angrily and loudly responded “You’re goddamned right I am you f***ed up bastard, I’m in no mood for your sh** today!” and gave him a shove which made him stagger a bit but not fall.

When he regained his balance, he double timed it away as fast as he could, and I elected not to follow. I went back to the bench and tried to calm down my girl, who was visibly shaken by the whole thing. The bum (not homeless, not poor suffering indigent… the bum) went to the other side of the fountain and tried his rap again complete with the screaming, which scared away a whole bench worth of tourists, clearing away seating on a full 25% of the granite around the fountain. He never came anywhere near us again. I think he left the park after that.

We sat a bit longer and my girl calmed down. A few minutes later, we were approached by one of the other “local pot heads” (as we sometimes call them) from the park. He was a black guy maybe 30 and he spoke to us in a measured tone from a respectful distance. “Hey I saw what you did to that guy dude, that was a good thing.” What’s that?” we said “That guy’s not crazy. He said “He just does that to scare people into giving him money. I know him, he lives near here. That’s just his thing, but it’s totally not cool that he does that. I tried to tell him you know, but he won’t listen. It’s a good thing that you scared him a little.”

We spoke for a few more minutes about it, and about how the park was declining. And eventually wished each other a polite good night as he walked off.

New York City under DiBlasio seems to be culturally rusting. Homeless are cropping up everywhere, and adding their nasty smelly 2 cents to New York society. Washington Square has always been unusually tolerant of the crazies, but the situation seems to be degrading rapidly. Between the black lives matter protests and the crack heads, and screaming psycho beggars, the situation there seems to be falling apart. It’s taken a long time to get there since Giuliani's departure, but it’s definitely returning to the state of affairs as it was under Dinkins.

I don’t think I mishandled the situation last night. I didn’t beat on the guy or spend 5 minutes kicking him in the face while he cowered on the ground or anything. I wanted to… quite badly actually… but I didn’t. I exercised what I thought was genuine restraint. But there was no way I was going to sit there and let this useless bastard be in control of our interaction. I don’t have it in me to just cower like that.

And I have to believe that if people don’t tolerate it, the homeless crazies can be persuaded to push on. I’m happy to scream back in the face of any social justice warriors who give me lip over ‘oppressing’ a guy like him just because he doesn’t make $250,000 a year (or whatever silly rap they have). One thing is for certain, I have no intention of laying down for them. I wouldn't know how.

The fact that these parasitic creatures believe they have a moral right to ruin public spaces for people does not give them that right – not in my mind anyway. And I may be the last man in New York who behaves this way toward them, but I have no intention of letting them take the ground. This incident was no big deal. Just a guy refusing to be cowed by a conniving scum bucket. And it seems to me if we all act that way toward them, the parasites will go find some other way to live off the well being of others.

3 comments:

Hell_Is_Like_Newark said...

After the NYPD shoved off the protestors from Zuccotti park a few years back, the heroin addicts that gravitated in never left. At least the junkies are pretty mellow. The crack-heads back in the late '80s to mid '90s were pretty damn scary at times.

Hell_Is_Like_Newark said...

I commented to my wife that with DeBlasio being elected, I feared the old NYC that I knew so well in my youth would rise again (the first piece I wrote here was about this very subject).

So many people have moved to NY long after Guiliani and Bratton turned things around. To them, the scenes of New York in movies like 'Taxi Driver' seem like fantasy other than what was in fact the reality at the time. I think this is why outside of old-timers, there isn't (yet) too much in the way of alarm from the general public at the deterioration of law and order in the streets. How long before the three card montee tables, wilding gangs, and the black 'KILL ALL WHITE PEOPLE' street preachers show up again?

Beyond the crazies and aggressive panhandlers coming back, what I fear the most is a BLM protest turning into at outright riot and loot fest. As far as I am concerned, the current mayor will restrain the police, letting the vermin run wild. I just hope to hell my wife and I are not in the city when / if that happens.

Muzzlethemuz said...

Well done Tom. A shame to hear NYC is back on track to the Koch era. I remember it well and it was terrifying. The country's in a much different place now then say, 1980. 9/11, the subsequent wars with all those returning vets and a proliferation of statewide CCW-friendly laws make me wonder if we're capable of returning to the days of Taxi Driver. For liberals, yeah, not a problem. They seem to love living in fear and getting dominated by statist politicians and street urchins. Outside the NYC bubble though... I think the resolve to say f*&% it and divorce from the urban consensus is as strong as it's ever been. The federal BLM didn't do too well out at Bundy's and the urban BLM out here... OMG I would pop the pop corn and pull out a lawn chair to watch that event.