Monday, August 22, 2016

- A NYC Handgun Permit: Update #1

Ok... the process is rolling along. I have obtained a lawyer, gathered my notarized documentation, submitted my application, payed my fees, gotten fingerprinted, and an investigator has been assigned. When I went to One Police Plaza I was expecting an experience like the DMV on steroids complete with surly bureaucratic clerks and dismissive low ranking flatfoots. But what I got was the exact opposite. It's a bewildering thing working your way into the bowels of the HQ nations largest Police force, but everywhere I went the guards, cops and staff were nothing but cheerful and helpful. I don't exactly look like a career criminal so I'm sure that helped, but by any measure the experience was a pleasant one.

I was directed to the Licensing Bureau on the ground floor of HQ, and after a brief wait while they handled other prospective applicants, my application was reviewed and accepted by a nicely dressed and quite handsome middle aged woman, who was nothing but a pleasure to deal with. She checked my docs and notarization, fingerprinted me, accepted my fees, issued me a pair of receipts and told me that they would be in touch. She even smiled.

Now I'm told the fun really begins. There is a 4 to 6 month wait, followed by an exhaustive investigation of my status as a citizen, my past crimes (in my case all vehicular) and my character. Assuming all goes well, and my lawyer assures me that this is likely the case, I will eventually be issued a permit which requires that I obtain a handgun in the subsequent 30 days.

My Gun choice is now a settled issue. It will be a Glock G30S with a milled slide to accommodate a Trijicon RMR. It fits my hand well, and I'm a true believer when it comes to the red dot solution. I think this is gaining popularity, but I'm happy to be out in front of it. I'll also go with the Suarez solution of a suppressor height co-witnessed iron sight fore and aft. I've read up on it, and think it will work.

I do not think this process will be completed without drama, but so far, it's really been just fine. My experience in NJ was considerably worse and involved being ducked and insulted by the issuing policeman in an effort to have my permit expire before I could get to it. But in NYC, so long as you're prepared to pay through the nose (I am) and willing to wait (ditto) it doesn't seem to be the kind of thing that should scare off most people.

1 comment:

Muzzlethemuz said...

Congratulations Tom! I know you're gonna love that Glock. I pick up mine in a few days (23). Will look forward to hearing about the process and good to know the NYPD folks are facilitating their end of the bargain. The differences between the NYPD and NJ people does not come as a surprise.