Sunday, December 4, 2016

- Meanwhile In Real Life: Part 2

Final Score:

TC, JW, and The Derb: 8
Pheasants: 3

One Chukar and two quail were also fatally harmed in the making of this picture. May they rest in medium rare pieces.

On the medical front, I can’t tell you what a strange feeling it is to be plunging these needles into my flesh several times a day. It doesn’t hurt at all, though the side effects of the drug make me feel like I have a hangover in spite of abstaining from alcohol for some time now. But the psychological side of the act is well… unnatural.

I’m not jacking a vein or anything, it’s just a super tiny super thin needle that I’m injecting subcutaneously. But all my life, this was the kind of thing that others would do to me. To be doing it to yourself takes more than a little getting used to. I only have to perform the act another dozen times, so I don’t think I’ll get the chance.

My Bro is in good spirits. We facetime a couple of times a day including yesterday evening when he watched me inject myself twice, and did his best to make me laugh while I was struggling to push the plunger down. The laughter of course make the needle wobble around a little, so it causes a small amount of pain. That’s his idea of fun.

I had originally considered making a prank out of it. I was going to get a little ziplock full of fake blood and after injecting myself, I’d palm the blood bag into the area, complain about the severe pain, and go at it like Dan Akroyd as Julia Child, when she ‘cut the dickens out of her finger’. But after 6 hours of driving, plus shooting yesterday, I was just too tired. Instead, I’m sending him video of the ribs I’m making for dinner today, in order to call his attention to his diet, which will be restricted the adult equivalent of baby food for the next year or so.

The girls all think we’re being needlessly cruel to each other, but they don’t understand. By treating these otherwise serious issues with jovial disregard, we’re actually helping each other. It’s the ball breaking of the soldiers in the foxhole. It just the way men are. And we both refuse to apologize for it.

2 comments:

MikeCLT said...

Good luck to you and your brother. I will remember you both in my prayers.

MikeCLT said...

Hope this gives you a laugh this holiday season.

It's the Most Wonderful Time in Eight Years

Merry Christmas from Trumpmerica!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sW85ZcswiqM