Wednesday, December 28, 2016

- The Retirement of Dr. Thomas Sowell

Those of you who are regular readers know the high regard I hold for Dr. Thomas Sowell. Not only has his writing greatly enriched my life and increased my wisdom, it also provided me with the inspiration for the design of a program trading system I built which produced a continuous profit for seven straight years. I've often called him the smartest man in America.

In case you haven't heard, The inestimable Dr. Sowell has announced his retirement from writing.

I'd love to say something profound here, but I'm at a loss. He is one of the greatest minds of the 20th century, of that there is no doubt. But I can only imagine the frustration and boredom that must come to him, after seeing simple, fundamental human truths being consistently ignored for all that time. There is a list of quotes here that will give you some idea. Here is my personal favorite:

“It is hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong.”

I don't know Dr. Sowell personally, though we have many acquaintances in common. I believe his work has changed my life in important ways. And though I'm sure it means very little in the grand scheme, I promise to never forget the many things his work has taught me.

I wish him a long, comfortable and fulfilling retirement.

No comments: