Thursday, December 15, 2016

- Speaking Of #NeverTrump

Has anyone else noticed how quiet things are over at NRO since the election? I think this post over at AceHQ explains a lot of that.

Personally I think that's a shame. It never had to be this way. I complained for months to whoever I could get to listen over at NR that if they just stood up like men with regard to all those baseless accusations regarding Racism and Misogyny, then their voices could be leading the movement on the right rather than dwindling from it. Instead they much preferred surrendering to the left on those issues, and taking their role as "the guys fight with nobility but fail" in the liberal narrative.

Maybe there was something I didn't understand about their fundraising and the ideological commitments they made in that regard. I don't know. Maybe they really were just inside the liberal bubble when it came to those issues, and they couldn't see that the arguments had all moved upstream from politics.

These days, we hear comparatively little from them, and that's OK with me. If I want insults I'll get them from the NYTimes and CNN. I don't have to read Ben Shapiro to get accused of being a guy who dreams of "camps and ovens". I regret the lost friends, but I guess this election is one of those things that reminds you that maybe they were never really my friends anyway. Just allies of convenience.

1 comment:

MikeCLT said...

I think Trump's win has been almost as shocking to Conservatism Inc. as it has to the Dems.

In an interview with Trump before the election the reporter notes that many of Trump's positions are at odds with conservative orthodoxy. Trump responded "Remember it's called the Republican Party not the Conservative Party."

I am inclined to give them a little time. But if they start positioning themselves to say "I told you so," then the hell with them.

Merry Christmas to you and your family. A happy and healthy 2017 to you and your brother.