Friday, January 27, 2017

- Believing We Might Have A Chance Again

I've been writing this blog for nearly a decade. Over 3500 post, well over 5 million words. Virtually all of them with spelling and punctuation errors. And that's been the least of my amateurish problems. Every day I say to myself "I've done enough of this, there just isn't anything new left to say." But then something in the news will catch my eye, and I'm slapping away at the keys, and forgetting to capitalize sentences.

Of all the pieces I've ever written, my personal favorite is this one, about America's vanishing tendency toward "self Reliance". I've written much better stuff, but this one always read to me like it was the closest I've come to my actual mental voice:

The Maori are the main aboriginal ethnic group of New Zealand, and they arrived there somewhere prior to 1500. I personally found it telling that the very first thing they did when they landed on the beach was to hunt one of the more defenseless local birds to extinction.

The New Zealand Moa was a huge flightless bird which apart from being relatively slow and easy to catch was also apparently pretty tasty. In fact, they were so perfectly evolved as a human food source that the only way nature could have improved upon them, would have been to instill in them an admittedly unlikely desire to build their nests directly in Maori cooking pots. A few birds managed to hang on precipitously until the 1700’s but according to the Discovery Channel, they met their final natural end in 1773.

This is the point where your typical lefty would get all amped up about the evils of man and how nature should be allowed to progress on it’s own without human ‘interference’. Nonsense. I mean… a few thousand Maori tribesmen with stone tools and grass skirts are hardly the same thing as releasing dioxin into the primary water supply. What exactly about their arrival and interaction with the local fauna was ‘unnatural’? The fact of the matter is, man is the planet’s most successful predator for a very good reason. And sure as the sunrise, he was bound to find his way to wherever the prey is so fat, slow, and delicious.

That was October, 2010. Just about the time that the Social Justice and "Occupy" crowd, emboldened by Obama's election and flush with new funding from George Zoros, began to explain to the rest of us what we would all be expected to believe going forward. Since then, and right up until last spring when Trump began to move into the lead, it's just been one long trip, further and further down the intellectual rabbit hole of the leftist id.

And then came Trump.

We're only a week into his Presidency so I don't want to have too much faith in him when he's still very much unproven. But at the very least, he's unlike any President we've had in the last half century. He's making all the right enemies, and angering all the right people. The press is in such a constant state of uproar that I can't keep up. But most of all I feel like we're no longer falling down the rabbit hole. Facts and evidence mean something again, and feelings and opinions are irrelevant or at least closer to it. Trump wants results, results, results. And that lets the rest of us, who were worried about results all along, feel like we can trust the system again to maybe stay out of our way.

I went for drinks last night with an old, old friend. A guy who I knew from my days at Moore Capital in the late 90's - a lifetime ago in the finance world. Two other guys we both knew joined us, and while we were there, one of them got a call from a co-worker who was a consultant I had hired while at Moore, and who worked for me there for about a year. Great guys all of them. Wanna know what we talked about? Completely uninitiated by me, two of them tried to convince me and my old friend that the Alt-Right aren't a bunch of crazies after all. I kid you not.

I know Trumps only just left the starting line, but it already feels like a kind of renewal to me. Like he's trying to bring America back from the brink. That and the huge upswell of interest in the "hate-facts" of the alt-right, and it's nearly enough to make a guy believe again. My brother is doing better, my daughter is doing well, and I find I'm hopeful.

Then I learn that on top of everything else, scientists now want to bring the Moa back from extinction.

I know it was all just one big allegory about how out of touch with reality academia was becoming. But damned if it doesn't want to make you believe.

No comments: