Friday, January 6, 2017

- I Find This Very Compelling

The sudden changes in governance that swept Europe coincided with the Industrial Revolution. One way of looking at the French Revolution is that the old governing model was built for an economic system that was being replaced by a new economic system, one that would require a new governing model. Liberal democracy has only flourished in nations with merchants and manufacturing. Industry does not automatically lead to democracy (China), but in order to have self-government you need a market economy.

The point of all this is that social structures like liberal democracy are not the product of inevitable historical forces. The Chinese form of government is the product of the evolutionary history of the Chinese people. Pluralism, openness, self-government, the rule of law, all the things we associate with liberal democracy, are the product of the unique history of the people of Europe. It is why they have proven to be impossible to transplant to other parts of the world. The rest of the world is not built for Western social structures.

Read the whole thing.

I struggle sometimes with seeing the totality of an issue through the proper historical lens. My instincts as an analyst and prognosticator of trends both social and economic, tell me this author has no such problem in this particular case. This rings VERY true to me. Take that for what it's worth.

1 comment:

Guildofcannonballs said...

Hey I am a proud troll not spam.

Great words you have conglomerated.

"I struggle sometimes with seeing the totality of an issue through the proper historical lens."

I don't know where the best way to begin, proceed, or end is, but I do know the idea you might, or anyone might, have God faculties available to them, even at one's moment most profoundly divine, to include Augustine or Mao or any human-other-than-Jesus, seems to me to miss the point.

Aldous Huxley and his thoughts on the doors infinite perhaps have clouded me.

Also Iris Dement's "Let the Mystery Be."

cumulus.hillsdale.edu/Buckley