Thursday, May 11, 2017

- Going Over The Line

Well... this was bound to happen eventually. And going forward, I haven't decided what to do about it yet.

Yesterday, my daughter, via methods that aren't entirely clear, read my brief review of The Red Pill movie one post down from this. In the original post, I included much of the detail of why I got divorced and how I learned about the overwhelming anti-male bias that's embedded in our family court systems.

More than that, I told the story in a very one sided way. I took it straight from my half of the divorce documents where each party tells 'their side'. I didn't couch my explanation in how intelligent or well intentioned, or how generally good hearted my ex-wife is. She's all of those things, but it was apart and away from the point. My point was that I tried to do the thing that I thought a good father and a good man is supposed to do, only to find out that given the bias in the courts, it's all but impossible for a man to do that. And if he does it anyway, the bias in the courts require such hyperbole to get over the bar and win, that it makes it impossible to avoid the kind of collateral damage that I found unacceptable.

These were some very personal details about my life. I've shared some personal information here and there from time to time, and I've always been careful about it. I'm not doxxing myself or anyone I know, and that was true in this particular case as well. In my mind there is clearly a line that shouldn't be crossed when it comes to things like that. But I figure that in my life and from my own experience, I'm entitled to share my own view of it, from my own perspective.

Well my daughter was ... lets call it 'less than thrilled', that I shared my perspective on my divorce. And she immediately sent me a text to tell me so. I would never want to embarrass her, or make her life any harder than it has to be. She's a teenage girl after all, and that sucks enough without your dad piling on from the internet. And I'm not exactly a NYTimes reporter, dedicated to the non partisan dissemination of facts (cough). I'm a third rate blogger chronicling his own experience and his own opinion, while the world loses it's mind around him.

But in the interest of my daughter's feelings, I redacted the personal information, and left only the objective part of the review. That makes it a pretty boring piece, but so be it. It's not like THAT hasn't happened before, and I'm sure it's something I can live with. It does leave me in a bit of a quandary though going forward. Do I shut up about my own life simply because in stating my own personal views, sometimes people I care about are going to have their views known as well?

There is another thing coming around the bend too. This startup I'm working on shows real potential. And though I will never, ever apologize for my views to anyone, there is a legitimate reason to distance myself as I can, from giving anyone any reason to doubt my sincere dedication to fact over opinion, and the inevitable primacy of objectivity and truth over subjectivity and feelings.

No rational person would question that based on what I've written here, but we all know how things work in the Social Justice world. You don't have to do, say, or think anything to be found guilty of something, you only need to be accused of it. If eating a ham sandwich is seen as being insensitive to Islam by some exceedingly irrational Social Justice Warrior, then posting a picture of you eating a ham sandwich is proof positive of your racism, sexism, xenophobia and hate, and the mindless internet swarm will demand to see you driven from public life because of it. Even if all you ever wanted to really do was 'have lunch', and have no idea that you were micro-aggressing anyone.

In the social justice world, denial is considered supporting evidence (ie. "that's just what a racist, misogynist, xenophobic monster like you would say") and an apology is considered a confession. So I will not be apologizing for my thoughts ...ever. But I don't want to be insensitive to the feelings of my daughter, for whom I have sacrificed much and will continue to, or to the people that are relying on me to do all I can to build a business which will assure them future employment. When there are people depending on you, there is more at stake than 'saying what you think'.

That's the thing about feelings right? They do matter. On a personal level they matter a great deal. And we all have people we care about whose feelings should be important to us. It's the making of that part of personal priority into a political priority that's the real horror of the Social Justice view. Just cause the SJW's care about their own feelings doesn't mean everyone else has to care more about SJW feelings than their own.

But that is what the SJW's think. That their feelings matter, but no one else's do. So all must be silenced except those that agree with the the aggrieved.

The obvious difference here is that this isn't some random Smith College Sophomore with a chip on her shoulder telling me I'm being unfair to my ex by talking about the abuse I personally suffered at the hands of the NJ Family court system. It's my daughter. Whose feelings I do very much care about. So in the interest of making sure she knows that she does matter to me (and she matters considerably more to me than you lot do), I'll silence myself in this particular case. Even though I think I'm utterly entitled to my view, and entitled to share it as I see fit, I'll keep it to myself in this case for her sake. Though I make no promises about the future. We'll have to just see what happens there.

No comments: