Thursday, July 27, 2017

- De-Platforming Atheism

Personally I think anyone who calls themselves an atheist is exhibiting shallow thinking. I've even said this about the Derb who is a dear friend and for whom I have nothing but intellectual respect. I feel this way because I don't think you have to have believe in the all powerful bearded man in the sky to be a christian.

Sure, many Christian sects say that yes, you do have to believe in him to 'really' be a christian. But I suspect the range of confidence in that specific component of religious faith waxes and wanes in the minds and hearts of their own congregations. And no one ejects them from the church simply because their faith in the arguably least provable component of their dogma begins to drift a little.

In my mind, the real dividing line for christianity is a belief in christian values. If you value individual responsibility as opposed to say the collective virtue of family or tribe like they do elsewhere in the world, then you believe in part of christianity. If you believe in scientific inquiry and doubt as a path to the truth then you believe in a very specific christian virtue. You may not see it as explicitly christian, in the same way that a fish doesn't see the water he swims in. But we live in a world that was made from the ground up out of our embrace of christian thinking, and you can't be alive without also breathing the air.

Jordan Peterson explains it exceptionally well in my mind, far better than I could. But that's his gig so I would expect nothing less.

And that's what makes the de-platforming of Richard Dawkins fun. I say 'fun' because I know Dawkins can take a punch much better than his opponents, and I suspect he's just getting greased up and stretching for what's sure to be an entertaining battle. He is, like virtually all self described atheists, a religious advocate of 'free speech' (wink) and I'm sure he plans to use it to flambe his de-platformers for their obvious hypocrisy.

Dawkins is mostly famous for offering thoughtful and articulate defenses of atheism which, although I don't find them particularly persuasive, he has been doing so for years and years. It's what he's known for. He has criticized all religious thinking including all the modern religions. And I look forward to hearing his responses to the religion of 'social justice'.

I think they're kicking the wrong dog here. And I can't wait to see the dog bite back.

No comments: