Wednesday, August 2, 2017

- Dr. Peterson's Salad Dressing

MY GF invented a salad dressing the other day and I got really excited about it and made quite a fuss. Too much if you ask her, but I didn’t think so. It was very simple really. 1 part the juice from one fresh orange, two parts olive oil, and 2 large garlic cloves, pressed. Throw it in a mason jar, shake like mad, and serve. I know, it doesn’t seem to be such a big deal from a distance, but you didn’t taste it.

It was perfect in its simplicity, but unbelievably elegant in it’s flavor. It had depth, balance, and went well with everything you can put a salad dressing on. It was an irreducibly simple recipe that resulted in multiple levels of beauty on the tongue. And that seemed like a big deal to me. I’ve always loved simple solutions that yield elegant results because they seem more true to me than solutions that are complex, heavily worked and require much careful ex-post tuning.

Tapping into the simplicity of truth - that’s the thing I really got worked up about. Even in a small thing like salad dressing. The truth is always simple in my eyes, and the simpler it is, the more true it likely is.

So I’ve been keeping up with the Jordan Peterson Biblical lectures, and it seems Dr. Peterson is having one of those moments too. In this episode, he’s caught up in a fundamental human truth he’s exposed and getting all choked up by the public reaction to it. I can hardly blame him. I just got done making a fuss about salad dressing for god’s sake. Surely a fundamental truth of human existence is worthy of a bit more reaction.

And to be honest I’ve had similar reactions in the past. I remember a moment a few hours after my daughter was born, when I realized without doubt that I would be willing to sacrifice myself in total for her sake. I had never felt that way about anyone before. It wasn’t that I wanted to exactly, who ever wants to do that? The thing that got me choked up was that I knew deep down that I was willing to. It was a beautiful and transcendent moment where one of the fundamental truths of humanity was revealing itself to me.

It’s hard not to get choked up by things like that.

I suspect, I don’t know but I suspect, that Dr. Peterson will come under some criticism for this reaction, but only by people who don’t know any better. For those of us who have had our own opportunity to experience a fundamental human truth and had the personal depth to recognize it when we saw it, it won’t look anything but familiar and utterly excusable. Especially after we've made such a big fuss about salad dressing.

There was a point in my life where I had a number of friends who were orthodox jews. These days I'm only in direct and close contact with one, but I find I'm interested in his impressions of this lecture series. If he has anything important to say about it, I'll get back on it.

2 comments:

Hell_Is_Like_Newark said...

You man made the Alternative media yesterday as it appears Google / Youtube banned him, which included denying him access to his gmail account. This was reversed after word go out.

Tom said...

I'm less worries about a perfectly reasonable and respected academic getting banned from Youtube than I am about him getting stabbed to death in a Toronto alley by some guy in a dress. Just imagine that his message gets out there and Canada finally goes ahead and reverses their psychotic law, returning to the concept of 'consent of the governed'. There are going to be a lot of mentally ill people who blame Dr. Peterson personally for something like that.

He knows this of course, and is prepared to face the consequences. And he grew up in Northern Alberta so he's seen his share of adolescent violence, and can probably defend himself well enough to get away in any issue with fisticuffs. A little fast talk, a few quick pokes and a head butt followed by an adrenaline stoked sprint can get you free from most conflicts without too serious an injury.

But 5 dogs can kill any lion no matter how strong the lion, or how mangy and feminized the dogs. Even if the dogs wearing size 17 Walmart heels. And I think the genie is well out of the bottle as far as his message goes.